Product Description Of Premarin 0.625mg Tablets
Premarin 0.625mg Tablets contain a mixture of conjugated estrogens mainly derived from natural sources. Estrogen is a feminine hormone responsible for the secondary sensual characteristics in females i.e. breast development, the growth of pubic hair, body counters and skeleton. It is enormously used by women to get relief from
- The symptoms associated with menopause in females like hot flashes, dryness of vagina, burning, and irritation.
- Prevention of post menopausal osteoporosis
- Helps in the growth and maintenance of inner lining of the uterus i.e. the endometrium
Premarin offers an additional advantage of being used in the treatment of certain types of cancer in both men and women
Mechanism Of Action Of Premarin 0.625mg Tablets
Premarin acts by binding to the estrogen receptors and modulates the pituitary secretion of Gonadotrophin i.e. the Luteinizing hormone and the Follicle stimulating hormone. These hormones are responsible for the production of the egg because of rupturing of ovarian follicles present in the ovaries. As Premarin mimics the action of natural estrogen, treatment with medicaments like Premarin is also known as Hormone Replacement Therapy.
Dosage Regimen Of Premarin 0.625mg Tablets
- For the treatment postmenopausal symptoms: An initial dose of 0.3 mg to 1.25 mg of Premarin is generally recommended. A continuous therapy is necessary.
- For the treatment of postmenopausal osteoporosis: A dose of 0.625mg daily is recommended with sufficient quantity of water. Do not crush, break, chew or dissolve the tablet in mouth. Swallow it as a whole.
- For the treatment of breast cancer: A dose of 10 mg Premarin three times a day is advised
Contraindications Of Premarin 0.625mg Tablets
- Never use Premarin if you have a previous medical history of blood clotting disorder, liver disease, abnormal vaginal bleeding or any type of hypersensitive reaction.
- Do not use Premarin if you are pregnant or planning to become pregnant.
- Do not use Premarin if you are any type of breast, uterine or hormone dependent cancer
- Use of Premarin is contraindicated in women below 12 years of age
Drug interactions Of Premarin 0.625mg Tablets
- Estrogens should never be administered with progestins as this increases the chances of heart-related disorders.
- Estrogens may decrease the anticoagulant activity of Abciximab and Acenocoumarol.
- The serum concentration of estrogens may get increased when it combines with Acetaminophen.
Side effects Of Premarin 0.625mg Tablets
The common side effects associated with the use of Premarin are abdominal pain, back pain, headache, nausea, depression, flatulence, vaginal hemorrhage etc. However, the intensity and duration of these effects are short. These are not serious effects and hence do not need any medical attention.
Precautions and warning Of Premarin 0.625mg Tablets
- Take immediate medical help if you experience any type of unusual vaginal bleeding
- Using estrogen alone may aggravate the chances of uterine cancer.
- Premarin may increase the risk of gall bladder disease
- Women's who are on thyroid replacement therapy must monitor the thyroid levels while using Premarin